Hello!

I receive the digest form, so please excuse me if someone has already added these thoughts.

I've had to battle with mutes for several years while playing trombone in a variety of settings. Some of the solutions I've seen and tried are as follows:

A music stand with the desk turned horizontally and a dark towel placed on it to deaden the noise might work as a mute tray if there is room for it.

If there is no room for that, then the top of one's trombone stand can be used to hook the lip of a cup mute. There is, however, the danger of the cup mute self-starting to rotate around the top of the trombone stand and fall, usually after one and a half rotations. Carpet samples placed on the floor near likely impact points can lessen the "tink!" and "poonk!" of falling mutes that brass players know so well. :-)

If one's plunger has a lip on it, it can be hung on one of the set screws or adjustment knobs on the side of one's trombone stand.

Other than that, if one must stand up to play the job, the mutes have to be "prepared" for a fast change, placing the next mute on one's music stand where, one hopes, it doesn't interfere with seeing music. It is helpful to have the phrase "Prepare ____ Mute" written over a multiple bar rest shortly ahead of time so that the mute can be located amongst its fellows and set in place.

Although not as good a sound, a secondary choice for bucket mute is to bury the trombone bell deep into the stand or to write "Hand Over Bell." Sometimes a plunger, which might be faster to employ, can be held half-open to simulate a bucket mute. Of course, none of these sounds is the same as a bucket, but they might give you a pragmatic option that is close.

On the lighter side, if the mutes must be kept on the floor, placing an open beverage next to them adds incentive to bend down to retrieve them. I recommend water, so as to be able to stand up again without difficulty and to keep the inside of the trombone smelling better. It also cleans up fairly easily after it gets knocked over. Do not use a straw with your beverage, for it will poke some delicate part of your face as you bend over to retrieve the pixie straight mute and plunger. :-)

Best of luck,

Bill Huber
Nashville, TN