At 12:52 PM -0400 4/15/11, David W. Fenton wrote:

But I certainly agree that anything that is not immediately clear on
first sight should be questioned. If the players have to pencil
something in in order to know what to do, you should probably
reconsider writing it out...

Case in point: Add wings to your repeat barlines. If you don't, and if there's any question where the eyes should go on the page, the players will scribble them in. My stand partner does it in every case. I do it after the first time I can't find the repeat point.

We just played a band piece in which the Coda was NOT indented for easy finding (and ran for 2 or 3 staves). I had to resort to scribbling in pencilled circles at the Coda mark and at the Coda to make sure I could find it. This is just simple courtesy to your reader.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.