On May 16, 2011, at 10:42 AM, John Howell wrote:

> Classical singers, voice teachers, and musicians in general take it as an
> article of faith that men's and women's voices are an octave apart, and in a
> lot of situations that works just fine.

Another thought:  Although I never really formulated it as such, I guess I
think of the distance between men's voices and women's voice more like a ninth
rather than an octave.

For example:
- chorus altos on low G is like chorus basses on low F
- chorus tenors on high G is like chorus sopranos on high A
- baritone soloist's high F is like mezzosoprano soloist's high G
etc

mdl