I have noticed this in opera, where the tenor's full-voiced high C is
a more rare commodity than is the soprano's.  I think Mark's estimate
of a ninth difference is about right, on average.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com