On 25 May 2011 at 17:14, Christopher Smith wrote:

> BTW, David has been making cogent points, except that not ALL the
> bundled software with new Macs are the full-fledged programs. Some are
> only demo versions, like Pages. Having never bought a Windows machine,
> I couldn't compare the quantities.

I didn't realize that -- thanks for the correction.

Windows has come with WordPad for a long time, and it can create and
edit MS Word-format documents, but it's no substitute for an actual
word processor, and I don't use it all any longer (back in Win95 days
I did).

My observation from reading about the preloaded software on the Mac
is that it's well-chosen and well-designed, though not necessarily
complete for all the tasks users would need to do.

On Windows, the applets that ship with the OS are much more limited.
But the real problem on Windows is the 3rd-party demo software that
so many vendors install. It's crapware and almost never works well.

I don't think Apple allows that kind of thing, and that's one reason
the user experience is often better for Mac users (at least, so far
as I hear).