John, other than that double-belled euphonium, which does have a sort of a
baritone for the small bell (but probably not as good in sound or pitch as a
real British baritone), chances are quite high that you have no real
baritones in your band.

There is a real effort now to clarify the labeling in the US, which has been
confused for decades.  The "American baritone," even if it has a bell front
and only three valves, is a euphonium - it has a large, fully conical bore.
(The term "American euphonium" works well, when differentiation is
needed.) The term "baritone" should be saved for the "British baritone" or
"English baritone" which is smaller bore and less conical (what you and
others are calling a "Bb tenor horn", but that term is confusing since the
British call the Eb instrument a "tenor horn".

To help keep it straight, think of it this way -

-A double sized trumpet (most cylindrical) is a trombone or valve trombone.
-A double sized cornet (somewhat conical) is a British baritone, (or antique
American Bb "tenor horn," no longer made).
-A double sized flugelhorn (most conical) is a euphonium, regardless of
country of origin number of valves, or which way the bell points.

US concert bands generally do not and should not use true baritones, unless
they are trying to accurately perform some older compositions such as
Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy" or the original scoring of the Holst First
Suite (which is hard to find) which a re examples of serious works which
have separate parts for euphonium and baritone, using each to advantage.

Brass bands should have two of each.  US brass bands just starting out
SOMETIMES sub euphoniums for baritones because of the rarity of the latter,
but they are missing a true tone color when they do.  The baritones are a
part of the flugel-Eb tenor horn-baritone choir, while the euphonium can
function with that choir it also is a main solo voice in the brass band, so
euphs on the baritone part really muddies the whole thing.

The comparison of cellos playing viola parts is actually a good one.  It's a
comparable role - the euphonium is usually written as a lower instrument,
but is often given melodic passages higher than the baritone part, just as
the lower cellos are often given melodic passages higher than violas.  The
timbre difference is quite comparable.  In other words, the timbre change of
subbing euphs for baritones would be very comparable to subbing cellos for
violas, but the technique and difficulty change would not be.

Most brass band should be able to afford baritones, now - last year I bought
an absolutely top notch Schiller (Jin Bao - Chinese) compensating British
baritone for well under $600.   A copy of the $5K Besson.   I love it - true
baritone sound, stellar intonation.  Jim Laabs in Wisconsin sells them.
All relative economy discussions aside, a tremendous deal for a very good
instrument.  (I have no financial interest.)

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com