I agree with you Raymond .... we ought to be able to play what's
written, but when I'm writing stuff  for any groups to which I have
access,  I best take GREAT care about ranges, clefs,  etc.,,   or it
just don't get read ...  good practice anyway ...

Dean

On Sep 16, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Raymond Horton wrote:

> Well, it IS standardized, Patrick - you just don't like the
> standards.  And,
> if you circulated your petitions, sent them to all the major
> publishers and
> got them to change - just who is going to re-engrave all of the
> millions of
> works that have been notated already, in clefs you don't like?

> the Shostakovitch 5th symphony, I believe.  As I recall, the 2nd
> trombone
> part is in alto clef throughout, with leger lines below to low Ab
> and G.
>  For ONE WHOLE NOTE low F in the first movement, the part switches
> to bass
> clef!  Ridiculous!  Take a poll on that one and bass clef would win
> (if you
> include amateur trombonists in your poll, alto clef would lose in
> every
> case, no matter what the range).   The next week we may play the same
> composers 10th, in which the parts are quite high and all written
> in bass
> clef - absurd!   But it's part of being a musician - we read it
> because it's
> our job.
>
> Musicians have to read the music that is there.  Composers and
> arrangers can
> write what ever they want, but if you write for established
> publishers, you
> write to their standards.  If you publish yourself - use whatever
> clefs you
> want, sell to whomever buys, have a grand old time.   If you sell
> more than
>  the big publishers, then maybe they will change, and then others
> can start
> complaining.
>
> Raymond Horton
> Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
> Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
> Composer, Arranger
> VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com
>

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Patrick Sheehan <
> patricksheehanmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you all for the historical practices and experience on what
>> you've
>> used and seen.
>>
>> To clarify, I do not have a problem in reading the Treble8 clef
>> for tenors,
>> I simply find it impractical.
>> News flash: We all have to deal with reading multiple ledger lines
>> (pianists, flutists, violinists).  Don't complain about ledger
>> lines; learn
>> to read them and be comfortable!  We don't have a staff that has
>> 10 lines,
>> only 5.
>>

>> Someone mentioned that the Treble8 clef for tenors much like a
>> transposing
>> instrument.  Correct!  In this sense, the tenors are reading
>> treble clef
>> notes but what's coming out of their throat is an octave lower,
>> plus they
> [...]

The perfect drive......a diminishing sphere of white impaling the azure
heavens in a graceful elliptic........height and distance vying for
supremacy......compatriot's jowls lax, eyes huge, their raucous paeans
thinly veiling jealousy......one stroke justifying a capricious
investment
in the titanium industry.

Dean M. Estabrook

http://sites.google.com/site/deanestabrook/