At 3:05 PM -0700 9/16/11, TXSTNR POP account wrote:
>At least you guys know singers who can read at
>all.  When I took first semester sight singing
>an North Texas, the worst readers in the class
>were the singers.

Oh, we understand the problem; we just can't do
anything about it by ourselves.  There are two
causes:  (1) Music Education in America is
catch-as-catch-can, with music ed students
"exposed" to a number of approaches and
encouraged to use whichever ones appeal to them
rather than adopting a single approach and
following through with it in a sequential and
progressive TEACHING system.  Think about what
math teaching would be if every year ignored what
had been learned the year before!!!  That's why
6th graders in Hungary can read music infinitely
better than college Sophomores in the U.S.!!!

And (2), singers are permitted to get by with
pretty voices and parts are pounded out for them
on the piano until they finally hit those
sightsinging classes at age 18 or 19, when nobody
has bothered to teach them basic solfege skills.
Or if they have REALLY pretty voices they go on
to sing opera, where "voice coaches" continue to
pound out the parts for them.

By rights we should require good sightreading as
a prerequisite before we accepted any student as
a college music major, but if we actually did
that we wouldn't have any voice majors at all
(except the smart ones, many of whom started
taking piano at around the age of 7!!).

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms