From: "John Howell" <john.how...@vt.edu>

>Most of us
>have to make do with 5 (or only 4, in Guido's
>original chant notation).  That's why movable
>clefs were invented (by Guido himself!) in the
>first place.

As a child I once had the "brilliant" idea of using a
6-line staff, where each line and space is a
semitone, making key signatures and those d*mned
accidentals redundant.  It sounded great, but when
I tried to learn it it I found even a recorder needed
a grand staff!  :)

I've enjoyed this discussion.  Treble clef for tenors,
with or without the "8", seems the most natural to me,
because the voice range is similar to soprano, albeit
an octave lower.  But what about altos using
treble clef?  If anything, that seems more awkward than
tenors using Treble8, yet nobody complains.