At 5:49 PM -0700 9/18/11, Mark D Lew wrote:

>I find alto voice parts in 8vb much more
>confusing than tenor voice parts in 8vb.

As in most notation questions (as in the
difference bewteen jazz and classical
interpretations), what matters is communication
and what your singers are used to.

Classical editions wouldn't normally put an
"alto" part in tenor G-clef.  But in some
editions of renaissance music, originally
intended for men's voices, a modern editor may
put the countertenor line, originally in tenor,
alto, or mezzo-soprano clef, into tenor G-clef.
It's then up to the conductor to decide whether
to use women's or men's voices on that line, so
altos who sing that repertoire do read the tenor
G-clef without much problem.

The modern SATB choir is a different instrument
from the renaissance or baroque choir of men or
men and boys, and that's true up through Mozart
as far as sacred music goes.  The Catholic Church
still wouldn't allow women to sing, although he
snuck his wife in as a soprano soloist for the C
Minor Mass.  But the sound he expected was
choirboys and men.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms