Hi all,

I posted these queries a couple of weeks ago and got no suggestions. I'm
hoping that was just because it was a weekend, so I'm trying again. <g>

1. This is my first time using the Finale Garritan instruments, and I'm
a little confused by the percussion maps. I take it that we're supposed
to use the Orchestral Percussion map, but that doesn't include entries
for side drum or for several of the susp. cymbal options. Does anyone
have any suggestions for easy ways to add all of the instruments
available in "Basic Orchestral Percussion"? Or is there a pre-built map
that I'm missing?

2. I always enter music in Speedy, using the 3-octave computer keyboard.
It used to be that in percussion maps you could specify not only what
sound you wanted (i.e., MIDI out) and where you wanted that instrument
to display on the staff, but also what MIDI note you wanted to play to
get that pitch (i.e., MIDI in). So I could tell Finale that I wanted to
play treble clef third line to get a snare drum, and the map would place
that on the third line (or somewhere else) and output the GM midi note
to get a snare.

In Fin2011, it looks like you can no longer specify the MIDI in pitch.
You just tell the map "I want a snare sound, and I want it to display
here." But now it's not clear what I need to enter to produce that snare
sound. The help file says I can do percussion entry using all the usual
tools of Speedy Entry, but that doesn't seem to be true. I can cursor up
and cursor down, and the Speedy frame now helpfully tells me what sound
will result, but it appears that I can no longer type a specify pitch
(again, using the old-style 3-octave Speedy) to get a certain note. In
fact, if I repeatedly press the same pitch, the Speedy cursor appears to
cycle through all of the available percussion notes in the map. Am I
missing something here?

Thanks,
Aaron.