At 3:03 PM -0400 4/22/12, bill sinclair wrote:
>I talked to a couple of composers I know:
>
>Thay don't make any distiction between Major and Minor keys, i.e.
>G natural minor is the same as Bb major as far as they're concerned.
>
>[snip]
>In other words, the composer/arranger does not
>say "by the way this is G minor, not Bb major"
>or vica versa.

I don't doubt your report, but I question whether
any composer (who writes tonal music, to be fair)
who doesn't KNOW whether he's in a major or a
minor key is competent!  For someone who writes
non-tonal music, of course it doesn't matter, but
why would such a composer use key signatures in
the first place?!!!

But I'd hazard a pure guess that about 99% of the
music being written today, across the entire
music industry and not just avant guard
composers, is indeed tonal and is in a major or
minor key with a clear tonal center.  And still
uses functional harmony and uses tonal centers to
define form.  And I can't imagine a composer or
arranger either not knowing or no caring what key
his or her music is in (assuming that it is
tonal, of course), or whether it's major, minor,
or ambiguous.  And the spelling of chord changes
(again assuming that functional harmony is used)
DOES change according to the key.  Or so my Mom,
the theory teacher, drummed into me when I was a
kid!

Musical notation is not and never has been music,
which exists only as sound.  The notation is a
pale reflection of the sound--a blueprint or map,
if you like--but the map is not the territory and
the blueprint is not the building.  It is a means
of communicating information to the professionals
who must learn to interpret it.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms