ok thanks, that was helpful.

does anyone know what these fonts are?

Final FiguredBass
FinalFiguredBass
Leonardo II
LeonardoII

>I think the symbol selection dialog in Fin2012 goes up to the last
>found Unicode character slot, if the range extends beyond character
>255. ... If you don't put the font name there, Finale believes that
>your font is a text font and tries to convert the "umlauts" in the
>128-255 range to the Unicode character mapping

this makes sense, my font doesn't go beyond the 256 range but does
use extended characters, and most of the font was correctly mapped (a
A 123 () etc.) in the erroneous 270-character selection palette
(before i added the font to the text file).

>Don't use more than the 256 slots in your music notation fonts....
>But for backward compatibility it's perhaps better to keep 256 slots
>in music notation fonts for a while?

right now i don't see any need for more than 256.  in fact long ago i
separate symbols into various fonts (articulations, notes/rests,
shapes, percussion, objects) with room for the fonts to grow, i can
add characters and still have them in a sensible spot, rather than
just stuffing them in the next random available slot.