Maybe this is a Mac versus Windows thing, but that doesn't work for me.
As I read the doc, it seems to me that this command is supposed to do a
FULL tie back to the previous note.  And that is exactly what it does on
my system -- ties back to the last note in the first ending, which is
wrong of course.  Curiously, when I first enter the command, it displays
a half tie, but when I move to another measure, it becomes a full tie
page into the first ending.

I tried the "tie end" option.  That does work better for me, but it
still has a problem.  It seems to be arbitrary about whether to put the
tie above or below the notehead, and it does not respond to the command
to flip the tie -- so I an stuck with one note that has a really
stupid-looking tie going the wrong direction.

This is an example of one of those basic functionality things that the
Finale people have neglected for years while adding playback features of
dubious value.