No, I could not find any way to flip the tie.  I ended up just removing
it because it was worst than having no end-tie at all.

The last note before the endings was second space with the stem up as
normal.  I didn't override anything.  The tie to the right of the last
measure before the endings was below the notehead, as one would expect.

The tie goes into the same note in the first ending, and the tie is
continuous.  It all looks exactly as one wound expect.  The first note
in the second ending is identical to the first note in the first ending
(second space with stem up), but that ending tie went above the
notehead.  Grrrrr.