i don't know why darcy needs it, but this is not such a strange
request.  i could think of several reasons why you might need to do
this in new music.  different groupings of instruments in a section
of a piece to better show the pairings; or the supplementary staff
you use for a single-staff instrument to indicate vocal actions,
non-instrument actions, sound objects etc. needs to go sometimes
below it sometimes above...