Eric, the worst question to ask someone (if you are providing tech support
or if you are developing software) is any variant of, "Why would you want
to do that?" It drives users ballistic. A much better question (that
usually gets to the same answer) is, "Can you explain to me what you are
trying to do?" Which I think Darcy has done a pretty good job of doing.

But be that as it may, my view is that it is not up to software developers
to decide what users should or should not be able to do, within the
technical constraints of the design. That Makemusic had a perfectly good
mechanism for accomplishing what Darcy is trying to do and capriciously
removed it without any technical reason is imho willful negligence. (And it
is obvious there was no technical constraint, because Finale can still do
it if you find a UI that hasn't been crippled, like TGTools.)