Hi Darcy - replying to the list- also in case it is of interest.

I gave some thought to using the subdivisions you suggest - the dotted eighth
patterns, and they are certainly mathematically correct.  And they allow
everything to be written in 4/4 - circumventing that whole problem.  But the
music has to be figured out in either case.  It takes a moment to digest the
meaning - how to play the quadruplets, but then they read as they sound - with
the accents falling naturally where the notation suggests.  If this gets
written in syncopated dotted eighths, it also takes a moment of calculation to
understand, and then everything looks syncopated and bumpy and you have to
figure how to smooth it out and express it as a line.  It takes interpretation
either way, but I think the way it is written is more communicative of the
desired result.

And again, in my view, the drum part is fine as it is.  This is for Dave
berger's band, and he wants things the way he believes they will be easiest for
him.  An extracted part with 8 measures of 4/4 solved it for his needs.

Many thanks,

Chuck