Darcy:
But there is a reason Steve Reich gave up writing for orchestra, and it's not
like his music is overtly virtuosic or anything.

Me:
I'm sure the less-than-ideal attitude that some orchestras display towards his
music is part of it, but I asked him once (in a "c'mon, Steve, please please
please write for orchestra again" mode) and he said the reason he stopped was
that he was tired of the sound massed strings and much preferred the the sound
of single players, amplified.  No reason not to believe him, I thinkā€¦

Neal Gittleman