> Here is where I disagree with Eric -- Avid bought Sibelius so that it
> could have its own development team more completely integrate Sibelius
> with ProTools, and that also means continuing to develop Sibelius to
> compete in the music notation marketplace.  Avid is having some
> financial difficulties right now, but it is still releasing new
> products, and from what Daniel Spreadbury had said just before his
> employment with Sibelius ended, they already had most of Sibelius 8
> completed so the new development team only had to put the finishing
> touches on it.  So we can expect at least one new version for Sibelius.

But that hasn't happened at all. They STARTED to do that with Protools 9 (I
think), but then it looks like it was abandoned. They certainly are not
advertising anything in ProTools 11 about it, nor did they say anything in
ProTools 10 about it.

I mean, it makes PERFECT sense that Avid would buy it. What Finale and Sibelius
lack is a good DAW-ish type of engine. How amazing would it be if ProTools
could do pitch to score functions for Sibelius? Or that when you finish a score
in Sibelius, you can just OPEN it in ProTools and have instant access to all
sorts of tools to produce amazing quality realizations of scores?

But, there has been no movement that I see. There is rudimentary support for
the programs to talk, but that is about it

> But I expect that if it can weather the current financial woes, Avid
> will continue to develop Sibelius.  Certainly if one can say that
> Sibelius is a mature cash cow that doesn't need any more development,
> the same can be said for Finale, yet we wait and hope for new versions
> of Finale all the time.

I dunno......Avid has a lot on it's plate. Though it did sell off most all of
it's consumer stuff last year (or the year before), I don't know how much that
helped or not. I DO know that Avid is really slow in doing software updates.
That is a good and a bad thing. Good in that they test the crap out of it, bad
in that it can take months before it is released. And since they gutted the
Sibelius development team, who knows what sort of chain Sibelius has to go
through to get released.......

> With that put aside, though, I think that Steinberg's new product will
> be an amazing entry into the notation field that might well attract a
> lot of Finale and Sibelius users, given both companies' recent financial
> situations over the past few years.  Steinberg has shown no financial
> instability, and Daniel Spreadbury's development team has proven that it
> is able to produce fantastic notation software, so I, for one, will buy
> this product (assuming it's at a price I can afford when it's released)
> and give it a chance.

Whenever they release it. If it has great notation features and a DAW
engine.....that would be great.

> Sticking with a program due to file format incompatibility is all well
> and good, until that program dies and one is left with a need to quickly
> get up to speed on a new notation program.  I prefer to get comfortable
> with several programs, long before there's a crisis which forces a
> change.  Other people's mileage may vary.

Well, since Finale doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon, I'm not
worried about it.