On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:05 PM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

1) In 2013 I shouldn't still have to fiddle with layouts on my parts.
How many Finale releases have we seen that bragged about great new
algorithms that avoid collision of printed elements?  Yet, I still have
to manually edit every &^%%$#$#% part by hand just to achieve the most
minimally readable parts.  That would be a breakthrough -- one that
might have expected in 2000, not 2014.

I'm with you on this.

2) How long have we had spell checkers and grammar checkers in word
processors?  15-20 years anyway.  Why don't we have the same things in
music notation by now?  Why isn't there a function that says "In measure
14, 2 instruments have B naturals that are in conflict with the B-flats
in 5 other parts."  Why isn't there a function that evaluates my voice
leading and suggests better options?

I don't agree.  I don't need he computer to do the thinking for me.
What you're suggesting would open a big can of worms.  I'm currently
working on an arrangement of "Round Midnight, and there are several
places where I have both Bbs and B naturals in the same bar, in
different voices - reason being, I don't want to write a bunch of Cbs.
  How is the computer going to determine whether my work is correct or
not?  I also don't need the computer to suggest better voice leadings.
  That's why I went to music school.

3) Much of harmonization  is more-or-less formulaic.  Finale offers a
little help with the BIAB Harmonization plug-in, but by now, the state
of the art should be much farther down the road.  I'd like to point the
notation program to an audio snippet from an Elgar symphony and tell the
notation program "Suggest a harmonization of my melody that is like
that."  OK, I don't expect that in the next year, but people developing
notation programs should have goals like this -- a much bigger vision
than just how big to make the margin on the page.

Again, I have no need for this.  This is another example of trying to
get the computer to do the thinking for you.

4) There is a little support for drum grooves.  That's good for 2003,
but in 2013, the DAW world is now very advanced in looping.  I ought to
be able to draw upon a library of 1000 drum patterns and loop them in my
score just as I would in a DAW.  Likewise for the other instruments.
What sense could it ever possibly make for me to have to write drum
parts from scratch each time?

This kind of thing scares me, because we already have so much "music"
pushed on us that is created in this way.  I have no interest in this.
  We are talking about notation software.  That implies that someone,
some HUMAN, is going to be playing what is written.  How about letting
the drummer play what he thinks is appropriate?  I never write out
drum parts in a jazz or pop arrangement.  I figure the drummer can
come up with something infinitely better than anything I could write.
But that's just me.

5) The whole concept of chords has always been a complete mess in
Finale.  The playback is so bad that nobody will use it, and you can't
use any common system of chord spelling without spending loads of time
building your own library.  What I want to do is type in a chord and
have the notation do a sensible comping from that.  I don't expect it to
be as powerful as BIAB, but I note that Sibelius has a plug-in that does
some of this.  This doesn't seem like a really heavy lift.

Again, I don't need this.  I'm fairly proficient at creating my own
comping tracks.  But I don't do that in Finale, I do it in Digital
Performer, and if DP had full-featured notation, I wouldn't need
Finale.  But the MOTU guys say that full-featured notation will never
happen in DP, because the majority of their users don't want or need
it (probably because most of them are musically illiterate), and
they're afraid that adding full-featured notation would turn DP into
"bloatware."

6) Likewise, the notation program should be able to read the notes in
all the staves and determine the most likely chords in use.  In many
scores, there would be enough information for the program to guess 80%
of them correctly, and then I could spend my time on the other 20%.
And the same should apply to any harmonization wizards.  It should not
be necessary for me to type chord names. The notation program should be
able to read what is already in the bass, piano, and guitar to determine
how to harmonize the sax soli.

Again, asking the computer to do the thinking for you.  I have the
skill necessary to determine for myself what chord is being played.
And I don't need the computer to suggest sax soli voicings - again,
learned that in music school.

All of these things would, of course, be optional.  A person who only
wants to model quill and parchment would never be forced to use the
advanced capabilities, just as nobody is forced to use a spell checker.

I'd like to see a program that does audio recording, MIDI sequencing
and notation equally well.  But none of the current DAWs out there
come close when it comes to notation, and it doesn't seem likely that
any of them ever will.  When I need really good mockups of my work, I
do those in DP, and then I have to start all over again from scratch
in Finale, in order to get my music ready for printing.  I used to be
a beta tester for DP, and I tried to influence them to add better
notation features.  They added a few things, like the ability to
choose a clef for each separate part (only treble, alto, bass and
grand staff, though), and dynamics (although they don't play back -
you have to do that through other means), and lyrics.  A few other
things were added - double bars and repeats, for example.  But it's
all very cumbersome - Finale does an infinitely better job - after
all, it's a notation program.

Lon Price
lonpr...@txstnr.com
http://www.txstnr.com/