These are great ideas.

A lot of people use Digital Performer for scoring as it has fairly good editing
of notation and is a full blown DAW.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/marc-mann-on-dp-and-danny-elfman
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/and-the-oscar-goes-to-michael-giacchino
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/dario-marianelli-wins-oscar-for-best-music-original-score

And I believe Lord Of The Rings was scored using Digital Performer.......

I sorta wish MOTU would have bought MakeMusic.....