On 11-Dec-13, at 11-Dec-13  9:55 PM, Douglas Brown wrote:

> I am going to disagree with the list.
>
> If I have a piece of music in A Minor mode, I would use no sharps
> or flats, not 3 sharps and then lower every F, C, and G.  If your
> performers do a simple analysis of your piece and realize that it
> is in A Lydian mode, then the four sharps are justified.  Give them
> the theoretically correct key.  I wouldn't count out the
> intelligence of your performers... they are musicians, after all.

Douglas, with respect, I think you misunderstood the proposal. MINOR
modes (those with a minor third) would use a minor key signature.
MAJOR modes (those with a major third) would use a major key
signature. Only the notes that made the mode different from the
parallel major or minor would have to be altered, which never gives
more than one alteration in the Church modes, except for locrian,
which requires two (the flat 2 and flat 5.)

In our tonal world, I think many musicians think of modes as altered
major or minor scales, rather than a major scale starting on a
different note.

Christopher