On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Douglas Brown <
douglas.br...@wayland.wbu.edu> wrote:

> If your performers do a simple analysis of your piece and realize that it
> is in A Lydian mode,

In my experience, most musicians on a church gig will not analyze anything.
They are just trying to survive a once through sight-reading rehearsal,
perform the show, get paid, and move on to the next gig. (Especially this
time of year.) It's not a question of intelligence: it's a question of
priorities. If you want the right notes in A lydian the first time and
every time, I think the proposed 3 sharps plus altered 4 is a safer bet.