In a work session a few days ago, but after this thread started, I suddenly
experienced this very problem for the first time, which made me think about
what was different in this specific situation.

Atypically I had started working in a graphic application which allows being
set to a very high usage of memory. I hadn't quit that application.

Restarting and opening FM2014 first solved the problem. For the sake of testing
this gain after reading your posting right after doing some photo editing I
closed the graphical application and Word, so that only my browser was open.
Then I started FM2014 and tested the keyboard shortcut for the flat in the Text
tool. It worked.

My reading of this is that FM2014 prioritizes which parts of the application it
reads into memory, when the access to RAM is limited. Shortcuts apparently have
low priority.

Klaus