Nah, any classically-trained bassonist, cellist or trombonist should be
perfectly at ease with tenor clef in a classical context.

In jazz and commercial music, though, C clef is definitely a hindrance to
trombonists. I, for example, can read perfectly well when the context is
classical in tenor or alto clef on trombone, but find it very hard to swing in
tenor clef. Then, your stated preferences are correct.

Christopher