On Mon, April 14, 2014 1:54 pm, Robert Patterson wrote:
> Writing 5 ledger lines above alto clef seems silly, but what do I know.

Apparently it is silly, depending on the player. Just last year, one of my
fellow composers wrote an entire part in alto clef, and the player said it was
much too high for one long stretch, and she couldn't play it.

I told him, hey, it's a psychological thing. Just switch the part to treble
clef for that stretch, and I'll bet she'll have no trouble playing it.

She didn't have any trouble -- and thanked him for lowering the part.

Dennis