In case anyone else has the same problem:

The missing files problem is now sorted and, as I feared, was a Windows
problem not Finale and was something to do with "permissions".

I tried to copy a non-Finale file to the folder I use for Finale files and
received an error message to say that I did not have permission to post to
that folder.

I went into the folder properties and found that it was "read only" and
despite changing this several times, each time it reverted to read only
when I re-opened  it.  I then went into the security tab and changed
settings there.

The missing files did not reappear immediately but do appear when I open
them from within Finale and then save them.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this.

Cheers,

Lawrence

--
Lawrenceyates.co.uk