I don't know if it's the same as on a Mac, but on this platform you can have
users of different levels, so your kids don't accidentally delete system files,
etc., when they are doing their school work. Sometimes certain files need to be
protected, too, or even hidden so you don't mess them up accidentally, even as
an adult! You can also have files that certain users can read, but not alter,
which is for large networks (or small networks!) It makes sense to me, even
though I have to manage permissions from time to time when the bit gets set
wrongly.

Christopher