I believe the problem lies in the fact that the two different sample
sets were not recorded at the same volume level.  Apparently the
pizzicatos were recorded much louder than the arcos, so at the same
indicated dynamic level in your score they won't sound at the same volume.

This is my biggest gripe about all the sample sets I've listened to (and
most that I've purchased, alas!) -- the designers of the sample sets
don't take the extra time to ensure that all the samples which pertain
to the same instrument sound at the same volume level when played by a
midi program at the same dynamic level.

One solution is horribly painful in Finale -- it requires you to dig
into the midi editing capabilities (sort of like watching sausage being
made -- it's ugly, it's messy and it will turn you off ever wanting to
do it again) and adjust the velocity and/or the volume for each note
that you are unhappy with what you're hearing.

One would think that it would be simpler than that, but it's not, from
my experience.

And I think the reason you received no responses to your first query is
that nobody has an answer for you -- at least not one that's easy to
accomplish and won't take many hours/days to get things right with.

I hope I'm wrong, but Raymond's reply indicates I may not be.  I gave up
worrying about such things long ago -- what's left of my sanity was too
valuable to me.  :-)

Good luck!
David H. Bailey

On 5/7/2014 2:13 PM, dr.a.s. weinstangel wrote:

> As there was no response, I'll try one more time ("He who asks shall find"):
>

> From: dr...@hotmail.com
> To: finale@shsu.edu
> Subject: arco vs.pizz dynamics
> Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 16:23:04 -0400
>

> In the Finale (2012c PC) playback of my new string quartet I am getting
> exploding pizzicatos and barely audible arcos.
>
> Is there a way to globally adjust the volumes of these independently, to get
> an acceptable balance?
>
> TIA for your help.
>
> Dr.A.S.Weinstangel
>
> sasha.weinstan...@utoronto.ca