Another thing you can try is go into studio view, where you can adjust
the volumes of each staff independently. I found this out the hard way,
having had similar volume balancing problems.

On a PC, you can either click the View menu, then Studio View, or you
can type Ctrl-Shift-E. For what it's worth, I find the shortcut keys to
be wildly unpredictable, apparently because I'm not in the right
"context" or something, but sometimes the shortcuts just don't plain
work. (I think ctrl+ and ctrl- to zoom in/out should work in all
contexts, but it sometimes just doesn't work.)