My perspective is that if the key of the moment does not match the key
signature, any chromatic alterations within the key of the moment should be
shown even if they are already in the key sig. Personally I don't think
parens are necessary but I suppose they don't hurt anything. For example,
if the key sig is G-Major, but the piece has modulated to D-Major, if there
is a V7/IV chord (in D-Maj) that calls for C-nat, the C-nat should be
shown, irrespective of the fact that there is no C-sharp in the key sig.

I'm a horn player. For nearly all the standard rep music we don't see key
signatures, so for music that has them I tend to pencil in nearly every
accidental anyway. But I really believe relying on a key signature to show
chromatic alterations for a passage not in the key of the key signature is
where you are mostly likely to trip up a sight-reader.

(FWIW: Instead of using key sigs we horn players play in keys. I've played
Auf Dem Strom in the original E, in D, and I've seen a version in C. But I
just play the same part, written in C Major, in whichever key the singer
wants.)