> Surely this issue has something to do with the context. Highly chromatic
> music requires more frequent courtesy accidentals, and once you reach a
> certain point, parentheses simply become needless clutter.

Absolutely. Complex or non-tonal or non-ET is a different case.
But these things are not often sight-read at the coal-face. Similarly, in a pop
context a chart in F major with a chord of A# doesn’t bother me (much..)
because it’s par for the course.

> Also, as Chris says, parentheses make accidentals more difficult to read.

The opposite of my experience.
When someone has brought some unknown Sondheim to an audition, there are better
things to do than to keep skipping back in the measure to see why the Db I was
about to play has an accidental on it. I register the parentheses as a ‘check’.

> I also think the "looking back" problem is overstated.

Not from me. I find a big difference in reading one over the other.
I don’t play either wrong, but then I’m used to sight-reading all sorts of
flysh*t that no-one would ever recommend as good practice.

> I'm with Michael — this is largely a non-issue. It may cause annoyance to
> some but, unlike a missing courtesy, it doesn't generally cause mistakes.

That is a pretty low bar in most contexts.

Steve P.