Regarding #3, you'll get the effect I think you want if you change a
measure's width using the Measure Attributes or Edit Multimeasure Rests
dialog, rather than dragging the barline -- you'll change the width of the
particular measure, and the other measures in the line will shrink or
enlarge to compensate.

If you don't like going into and out of dialogs, you can also accomplish
this with TGTools Expand/Compress Spacing (for individual measures, not for
MM rests). I'm on FinWin11 and I've got the full TGTools, and I forget what
kind of TGTools Lite might be bundled in Fin12. In my version,
Expand/Compress is mapped to Shift+ and Shift- (using the numeric keypad),
so it's easy to select a measure and tap away until things look the way I
want them.

Aaron.