Professional Composer and Professional Performer!  A 2 floppy disk tag team as
i recall.  I  miss it for composing. The time signature and bar line was an
after thought whereas in Finale it is a before you begin kind of thing. GJB

      From: David Froom <dfr...@smcm.edu>
 To: finale@shsu.edu
 Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:28 PM
 Subject: Re: [Finale] to upgrade or not...

Another since-v.1 user here. Prior to that, I tried using MOTU Professional
Composer. I still have a score that used MOTU for notes only, and I drew in
slurs, dynamics, articulations by hand (which I was OK with because I’m of the
generation that had a Pelikan fountain pen with a music nib, a set of raised
rulers, and an electric eraser). I amuse my students by telling them that when
I moved to from LA to NYC in 1979 to start a doctorate program, one could still
find employment in downtown LA or midtown NYC in a room full of music scribes,
all with pen and ink, dutifully writing out scores and parts for shows, bands,
commercials, and the few composers who were getting big orchestral
performances. We used to get our onion-skin paper and bring in the finished
scores for blue-print printing at Circle Blue Print in NYC, Alpheus (which
became Judy Green Music) in LA. Judy Green also had all the best paper and
pencils (with double-sized erasers) and general supplies (pens, nibs, ink,
special rulers).

Then Finale! Did v.1 come out in 1988? Even on a Mac Plus, (files on one
floppy, programs on the other — remember the repeated disk swapping?), and pre
smart shapes (when you had to generate each slur as an independent graphic),
and tiny computer screens, it was worth the effort — if only because fixing
mistakes was faster, and, with enough fussing, you could get something that
actually looked pretty good!  I think it was finally around the mid 1990s that
Finale became faster than doing it by hand.

David Froom