Unfortunately, if you are in Speedy you have to change tools to get slurs in.
The Smart Shape tool remembers what item you have clicked on, so I leave it
selecting the slur, and use metatools for OTHER Smart Shapes (< and > for cresc
and dim, mostly.)

There are assignable metatools to select the TOOL, though! So you can switch
quickly to the Smart Shape Tool and switch back to Speedy without having to
move the mouse over to the toolbar, then again to switch back.

Christopher