I am a month into my serious usage of Dorico 2 and thought I'd provide an update on my experience. Everything about Dorico is more elegant.  But that means it is radically different from the mode of operation deeply ingrained in long-term Finale users.  Many of us have learned Finale over a span of 10 or even 20 years.  There is a big learning curve with any product of this complexity.  There are many resources for Dorico information (help pages, a comprehensive manual, YouTube videos, monthly Facebook live sessions etc.)  The product is evolving so quickly that none of these sources is definitive and up to date.  So the user is on his or her own to assemble one's own best practices and workflow.  In my case, I started compiling a Word document of tips and techniques for everything I do regularly.  Otherwise I would not be able to remember most of it. Over the course of the month, this document has grown to about 30 pages and 100 procedures, but I don't have to refer to it very often now.

The heavy Dorico user relies on PC keystrokes and shortcuts. These can be hard to remember until you develop muscle memory. Once you have that, I think productivity with Dorico is far greater than Finale because Dorico takes care of so many of the tedious details automatically.  For example, there is an "Engraving" mode in Dorico where you can make your final layout changes.  With Finale, this part of the process often represented 20% of my time.  Layout decisions with Dorico are far beyond Finale and Sibelius.  I have done some projects that literally required no layout changes whatsoever.

There has been practically no investment in Finale functions most of the past decade, and I believe we should not expect much from the company.  People who are completely satisfied with what Finale does for them today may have no reason to look at Dorico.  People who spend many hours per week doing composing, arranging or engraving really can increase their productivity (and possibly income) by learning Dorico.  I do think there is a threshold of use needed to make it worthwhile to take on this new learning curve.

The big issue is this.  Almost everything Dorico does is more productive and more elegant than the equivalent processes in Finale.  While Dorico probably does 90% of the things you can do with Finale today (and a great many things you cannot easily do with Finale,) that last 10% can be a real roadblock.  I have not seen a comprehensive list of the things that a Finale user would not be able to accomplish in Dorico, but here are a few examples.

* Playback in general is not advanced.  There is no support for D.S., D.C. and similar variations.  You can engrave these with text symbols, but playback will not recognize that.

* There is no ability to set swing in playback

* If you are heavily dependent on Staff Styles in Finale, there is no real equivalent (other than the slash regions and bar-repeat regions, and they don't have the flexibility associated with Finale Staff Styles)

* Chord support in Dorico is light years ahead of Finale and you can really fly through that part of a project that requires chord symbols.  However, it is very difficult to have different chord spellings for different instruments.

There are more issues.  I'm not trying to be comprehensive. However, I have reached the point that I am so much more productive with Dorico that I probably will not be creating any new Finale projects.

A couple more observations to wrap up.  There many bugs in Version 2.0.  The Steinberg team is large and heavily engaged in fixing these things.  There should be a patch release out in the next few weeks that will bring the product up to a normal "stable production" level.  Also, there is a very active, and growing, user community, and that definitely helps.