David Lecomte <leco...@stanfordalumni.org> said:
> Dear all,
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Alexander Hansen
><alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not 100% sure what's all fixed and what is still needing repair in
>> the KDE 3 chain. ?It's possible that quanta may work. ?If not, and if
>> you're using a 32-bit setup, I know of a possible workaround.
>
> I just thought I'd contribute from my recent experience. A few days
> ago, I was able to install kde 3.5 (my configuration : 2006 MBP, Snow
> Leopard, 32 bit setup).
>
> I don't know about the OP, but I was far from needing all the
> components provided by the bundle-kde package : All I really needed
> was the kde desktop. This is obtained by fink-installing kdebase3,
> kdebase3-shlibs, kdebase3-ssl and kdebase3-ssl-shlibs. Everything went
> well ; putting a simple "exec startkde" in .xinitrc lets kde launch
> correctly. I had to fight a little with xmodmap and the LANG
> environment variable to get the keyboard to work as I expected it to,
> and can provide details if needed.
>
> I can also confirm that some things are broken in the kde 3 chain. In
> particular :
>
> * kmail won't install, because it requires gst-plugins-0.8.12-1036,
> which itself requires mjpegtools2-dev, which was removed from fink for
> OSX.6.

mjpegtools2-dev was just re-added yesterday. I was able to build
gst-plugins. I have not yet attempted kmail, so it may or may not have
this next issue...

> * kde-extra-screensavers, kdeartwork won't install, because they
> require kdetoys3-base ; compilation for the latter fails (details
> provided if needed).

Obviously providing a good error report will be a good way to move
towards getting it solved. No reports-->everyone thinks it's working
or else waits around for "someone else" to report it.

I'm gradually plowing through a huuuuge pile of kde3 build errors, but
really do need feedback about what's broken and then whether fixes fix
things for anyone other than me:)

dan

--
Daniel Macks