At 20:31 Uhr -0500 17.11.2002, Carsten Klapp wrote:
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to start up a 'make' jobs discussion again. :/

A SafeReentrantMake flag in the info file would let the user configure his/her own maximum jobs appropriate for the speed of the machine.
If at all such a setting would make sense if there is a matching setting in the fink.conf file: But as I stated before, on this and other topics: I am very reluctant to clobber the .info format file with more and more fields. Some people are IMHO a bit hasty at immediatly saying "let's add a new field for it". First try to see if you can do it with existing fields already (that's often the case). Secondly, think who would gain anything by it (e.g. anybody but fink core developers?) and value if it is really worth to add a field. Finally, think if you really have to add a field which is so super specific to your single job, and rather try to see if there is a way to make your idea more general and appliable to other problems as well... if you take into account all of these, then make your proposal based on this, your chances to get the field "through" are much higher.

I frankly don't have the feeling that the "SafeReentrantMake" proposal was thought through to the end according to the above criteria.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>