Rather than a custom script for each package, how about have fink examine the Recommends field, then ask the user whether to install the mentioned packages, similar to dselect?

When you choose a package in dselect, it also automatically selects all Recommended packages then asks for confirmation, presenting a list of all (preselected) Recommends (along with any previously unselected Suggests mentioned by the package).

ck