I'm not sure if I made clear what the fvwm2 problem was.

Sure, there was one set of problems that was easy to spot and was cured
by reverting the -isystem flag.

But there is another problem, which I haven't actually tracked down, in
which some of the files in the fvwm2 package don't build when the
LIBRARY_PATH/DYDL_LIBRARY_PATH variables are set instead of the LDFLAGS
variable.

I fixed this one too, after it was noticed by someone.

But things compiled OK even when that problem was present.

The fact that a currently stable package continues to build after you've
made a change in the build environment is not proof that it builds the
same way.

  -- Dave