I don't think this has been discussed here before, so...

I wrote a fink package for "scsh", a Scheme Unix shell, which is now
in stable. I used this package myself to install scsh, and I had
reports from other people that it works fine. Then one day, a friend
of mine who needed "scsh", installed Fink for that purpose, then
installed the *binary version* of the package, and no other package.
It didn't work, because of a missing library...

I think I now understand the problem: when it configures itself
through "autoconf", "scsh" looks for the "dlopen" function. If it
doesn't find it, it looks for "nlist". And if it finds none, it
provides its own dummy functions.

As you know, "dlopen" doesn't exist on OS X, but "nlist" does.
However, the package "dlcompat", also available via Fink, provides
"dlopen". What this means is that if you compile scsh through Fink,
and you have the "dlcompat" package installed, scsh will use it. The
reason why it will use it is that "configure" is launched with the
option "--prefix=/sw", which means that all libraries available in
"/sw" are used.

Now the problem is that apparently the binary distribution that you
kindly provide was built in such a way that you had the "dlcompat"
package installed when you compiled "scsh" using my package. And this
introduces an artificial dependency which I wasn't aware of, and makes
the binary package break when it is used by someone who doesn't have
the "dlcompat" package installed.

Now I'm preparing a new package for "scsh" for which I added
"dlcompat" in the dependencies. But this does not solve the problem in
general. The only way to solve it that I can think of, is that when
you build a package for the binary distribution, you build it with a
*minimal* Fink configuration, which includes only the packages listed
explicitely in the package's dependencies. I realise that this is hard
and extremely time-consuming, but I don't see any other solution.

Ideas or remarks?

Thanks,
Michel.