Martin,

My understanding is that the following upgrade path:

  XFree86-4.2 or Fink-4.2/ threaded-version / XFree86-4.3 or Fink-4.3

is expected to work just fine.

However, as has become apparent this week, the libraries shipped by Apple
are not binary compatible with other versions of the libraries.

I'm not sure what we can do about this, other than to post a big warning
on Fink's website.  We can probably include a short list of Fink binaries
which are known not to work with Apple's libraries.

  -- Dave