At 1:59 PM -0500 1/12/03, David R. Morrison wrote:
Martin,

My understanding is that the following upgrade path:

  XFree86-4.2 or Fink-4.2/ threaded-version / XFree86-4.3 or Fink-4.3

is expected to work just fine.
Yes. This kind of problem is why I got bent out of shape awhile ago about Fink adding dynamic libraries that are only static in the standard distribution. It is essential that everyone can rely on compatibility between X11 libraries. I think as you say, Fink and XFree86 are on the same page now.

However, as has become apparent this week, the libraries shipped by Apple
are not binary compatible with other versions of the libraries.
Yes indeed. There are other issues besides the wrong install name, but the Apple engineers are aware of them. I am fairly certain that Apple will address all these problems inn the final release. In the mean time I think the proper attitude is to treat Apple's X11 as the beta it is. You may well find mysterious breakages and you will likely have to rebuild everything you build with it again once the final version comes out.

I'm not sure what we can do about this, other than to post a big warning
on Fink's website.  We can probably include a short list of Fink binaries
which are known not to work with Apple's libraries.
Apple is planning on syncing up their libraries with XFree86 4.3 for the final release. Making the public and Apple aware of the problems in the beta is probably all we can or need to do. The last thing Apple wants is to fork off the XFree86 mainline.

--Torrey