On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 11:49 AM, Carsten wrote:

For fink to build prebound libraries, there is a tool someone here made called gcc-prebind 0.1 (search the mailing list archives around last November). It might be useful to get started in the process but ultimately I think each shlib package would have to patched to hard-code in the bind address. Also I believe someone will still have to create a web page somewhere to track all the prebinding load addresses which have been assigned to the various fink-built dylibs so they can be built identical on everyone's system.
Yeah, it's just a wrapper for gcc that assigns an address if it doesn't find one in a list. It's only useful for prebinding on your own system, it doesn't solve the "global distribution of addresses" issue. Not only that, but in prebinding KDE, I already used up something like 20% of the available space apple gives for non-apple libs! I'm not so sure there's even room for everything to be prebound unless we do some overlaps. It certainly isn't scalable over the long term...