On Thursday, Feb 27, 2003, at 17:19 Europe/Rome, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Andrea and Max: I have had users requesting a python23 package - that's
why I put it there (in unstable only). You can easily switch back to
python22 if you want - "fink install python-2.2.2-4". And for what it's
worth, in my experience python23 is already quite stable (I use it daily).
However, there's no getting around the fact that when you update python
from 2.2 to 2.3, all python modules (e.g. Numeric, PIL, etc) need to be
rebuilt.

I agree with you v2.3 is quite stable, but as far as I can see the problem is that I can't install some Python modules under v2.2 tree.

When I try, for example, "% fink install numeric" fink automatically downloads and installs python23 and then installs Numeric under v2.3 tree. This because the following line in Numeric .info file:

Depends: python (>= 2.2.1-8) | python-nox (>= 2.2.1-8)

This is only one example there are other Python modules that behave in the same way. Worse than that, if you try to install a Python module with a .info file like this:

Depends: python22

the module will be installed under v2.2 tree. As you can see it could be a major problem.

Cheers,
Andrea.

---
Andrea Riciputi

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
  but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)