On Thursday, Feb 27, 2003, at 21:17 Europe/Rome, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

When I try, for example, "% fink install numeric" fink automatically
downloads and installs python23 and then installs Numeric under v2.3
tree. This because the following line in Numeric .info file:

If you install python22 first, then numeric, you will be fine.

Probably I'm wrong, but it doesn't work in such a way for me. Here is what happens if you try to install Numeric under python22:

[ibook:~] andrea% fink install python22
sudo /sw/bin/fink  install python22
Information about 2245 packages read in 1 seconds.

The following package will be installed or updated:
python22
dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/unstable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/python22_2.2.2- 4_darwin-powerpc.deb
Selecting previously deselected package python22.
(Reading database ... 27746 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking python22 (from .../python22_2.2.2-4_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Setting up python22 (2.2.2-4) ...

After this step I try to install Numeric:

[ibook:~] andrea% fink install numeric-atlas
sudo /sw/bin/fink  install numeric-atlas
Information about 2245 packages read in 1 seconds.

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The
candidates:

(1)  python: Interpreted, object-oriented language.
(2)  python-nox: Interpreted, object-oriented language

Pick one: [1]
The following package will be installed or updated:
 numeric-atlas
The following 3 additional packages will be installed:
 python python23 python23-shlibs
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

As you can see Numeric depends on python which in turn depends on python23. So as far as I can understand you can't install Numeric under v2.2 tree at the moment. Obviously the problem is the same for all the other Python modules that have "Depends: python" rather than "Depends: python22" field.

Andrea.
---
Andrea Riciputi

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
  but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)