On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Andrea Riciputi wrote:

> I agree with you v2.3 is quite stable, but as far as I can see the
> problem is that I can't install some Python modules under v2.2 tree.

Andrea:  I've renamed it 2.3a2 to make it clear that it's alpha.

> When I try, for example, "% fink install numeric" fink automatically
> downloads and installs python23 and then installs Numeric under v2.3
> tree. This because the following line in Numeric .info file:

If you install python22 first, then numeric, you will be fine.

> > Depends: python (>= 2.2.1-8) | python-nox (>= 2.2.1-8)
>
> This is only one example there are other Python modules that behave in
> the same way. Worse than that, if you try to install a Python module
> with a .info file like this:
>
> > Depends: python22

Python modules will install in the python2.2 tree if python2.2 is
installed, the python2.3 if python2.3 is installed.  So just choose which
python you want, install it, and then build the modules.

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        FAX   : (303)497-6449