-release is bad news on OSX, IIRC it's very old on all systems and should be phased out. There should be any libs on darwin with libfoo-0.0.0 they should always be libfoo.0.0.0 which means replacing -release with -version-info. The problem is always getting the value for version-info as it can't be x.y.z, this was just the formula I've been using and wanted to share it.

-Justin