Several packages do not compile when only gettext-dev is installed but not libiconv-dev. They compile OK when either both of them are installed or none of them. One example I have seen is irssi, another one is libiconv, and I am pretty sure there are others.

Standard configure scripts check for the presence of libintl.h and libintl.dylib, and if they find them, they put "-L/sw/lib -lintl -liconv" on the linker line and read /sw/lib/libintl.la for dependency libs which are "-L/sw/lib /sw/lib/libiconv.la". This will break if libiconv-dev is not installed.

Since both of these dev packages are non-essential and BuildDependsOnly, they can be installed and removed individually, so that this situation has to be taken into account.

Solutions: Either one allows gettext-dev to Depend on libiconv-dev (but this not only violates policy but may also break bootstrapping, because gettext-dev might be needed before libiconv is built), or all packages that are susceptible to be hit by this problem (and this is hard to detect and concerns potentially many packages) would need a BuildDepends on both gettext-dev and libiconv-dev.

I am dreaming of a mechanism that would remove a BuilDependsOnly package immediately after it is used. This would not only solve this problem, but also come in handy in other situations (it would help with the freetype2 mess, for example).

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials. Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM's Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admin. Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1278&alloc_id=3371&op=click _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel